GUEST BLOG from Dr Aoife Lynam: Desert Island Books


 

One overcast Saturday afternoon, I received a rather random request via text to respond immediately with three books that I would take with me to a desert island. 

I naively thought this request was to receive suggestions of 5-star books to pass the time during lockdown.  The suspicious side of me should have known that the text-sending-psychologist was plotting a more meaningful and thought-provoking engagement.  In my haste to reply, I selected my three favourite books that I had read in the last number of years and quickly tapped back a response: (1) where the crawdad’s sing; (2) Mornings in Jenin; and (3) America’s First Daughter. I put my phone away and didn’t think much more of it until a quick-witted response came asking for my reasoning.  My rationale was that these were stories of grit, overcoming difficulties, or being the first person to do something, which might provide a little motivation or inspiration while on a desert island.  The real reason was, they are really great reads!  Following this text exchange, the psychologist in question invited me to write a reflective account of why I had chosen these books.

Well, now I was in a pickle. Could I reveal that the books were chosen in haste? Would I have to try to conjure up some meaningful background story to make my book selection deep, meaningful, and entertaining? Or would I just have to come clean? I decided to come clean and admit that, on reflection, my choices would change if I knew I was being handed a one-way ticket to a dreary desert island devoid of human interaction.

I wondered how different desert life might feel when compared to Level-5-pandemic lockdown.  Having no technology? Possibly not a bad thing.  Some sun and relaxation? I could do with the vitamin D, it’s good for the immune system I hear.  Isolation? Well that was probably the downside.  While lockdown has been isolating, I have certainly not felt isolated.  With a husband who is my best friend, a toddler who keeps us entertained, a routine-d lifestyle (thanks to the aforementioned toddler), along with a fluffy white dog that bosses us all around, I have been fortunate to be surrounded by love and laughter throughout this past year.  But the book suggestions got me thinking … what books would I really take when facing eternal isolation, and why?

The Bible – for sentimentality

Not necessarily for its content, but for its sentimental value.  I was gifted a Bible by my Dad who is an incredibly strong, intelligent, thought-provoking human who loves life, has deep faith, and is one of the most contented people I know.  Alongside my mother, they make a formidable pair who enveloped us in a cocoon of love, warmth, and kindness throughout my childhood.  This Bible symbolises that for me. Since receiving it in my teenage years, I have filled it with memories and mementos, similar to the way in which my Dad has with his own Bible.  I suppose the main reason for this is that I deeply admire him and perhaps secretly (or not so secretly) hope that I can emulate him.  I mentioned that unfortunately, the content of the Bible has not been as impactful for me as I wish it was.  I am ferociously envious of the deep faith that my Dad has.  I have seen first-hand the benefits of this faith.  When he was ill (the dreaded ‘c’ word) the resilience he displayed was linked to his deep faith.  I was overcome with awe when I witnessed his acceptance of and willingness to quietly battle his illness while somehow knowing that all would be well, no matter how things turned out.  Faith has provided my Dad with a scaffold of acceptance, hope, understanding and forgiveness in his daily life. For me, finding that same level of spirituality, in whatever form, is an enviable trait that I hope to attain.  What I most admire is how much of an enigma my Dad is.  Combined with his strong faith he is a scientist, a philosopher and an astronomer – he devours books by Einstein for fun and articles on ethics to pass the time.  He is constantly open to debate on topics and never one to shy away from a tough conversation in order to make you really question why you believe something.  He has opened my mind to many different subjects and ensured I respect different views to my own rather than diminishing or ignoring them simply because they are not similar to mine.  For that reason, I think this Bible would be a good comfort to me on a desert island as I would be able to imagine the kind of debates I would have with my Dad about different parables and I think that would be a good way to pass the long stretch of time on an island.

Normal People by Sally Rooney – for entertainment

This love story captured my heart and I think it is a one that I could happily relive over and over.  The book is great and the tv series creation perfectly captured that. I have always been a hopeless romantic and loved love (who doesn’t?).  I must have sent out good vibes to the universe, or been very good in a past life, because I have found my life to date to be filled with love from family and, most especially, from my husband who is the greatest partner I could have hoped for.  For me, ‘Normal People’ is really a book about normal love – its rawness, its challenges, its beauty and its imperfections. I think the open-ended nature of the conclusion would give me the opportunity to imagine the sequel that Sally Rooney might write. While being isolated on a desert island, writing my own version of a sequel might be a good way to pass the time!

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse by Charlie Mackesy – for painting

I discovered this book last year.  The images are simple, effective and beautiful and the quotes reminiscent of Winnie the Pooh in style, meaning and simplicity. During lockdown, I took up a new hobby (no, it wasn’t banana-bread making) but painting!  I painted a lot when I was a teenager and the silver-lining of lockdown was embracing a new life-style that was slower-paced, less hectic, and one that removed the dreaded commute of Dublin living. I think on a desert island this book might inspire me to rip off some tree bark, smash up some flower petals, and attempt to paint these images using some Bear-Grylls style island living.  One of my favourite quotes from the book is: “What’s your best discovery?” asked the mole, “That I’m enough as I am” said the boy.  The quiet and unassuming wisdom of these quotes offers a lot of opportunity for contemplation which would keep my brain ticking over in isolation on an island.

If you’re looking for some good books to read, go with my first three choices in the first paragraph, but the above books would definitely be the three I would want to bring with me if I was facing an experience similar to that of Tom Hanks in Castaway.  From re-reading this blog, the most important elements of my life are love, family, with a little bit of creativity thrown in for good measure. Those would be the memories and qualities that would bring me solace while sunbathing on a desert island! So thank you to Lucie, the text-sending-psychologist, for the wonderful opportunity to reflect on so much more than book suggestions!

 

 

Comments

  1. This is beautiful Aoife. I now have two new book recommendations. Educated by Tara Westover and Girl Woman Other by Bernardine Evaristo if you haven’t already read them. Reading Traveller at the gates of Wisdom by John Boyne at the minute. It’s different!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ballinora NS Is Breda Coleman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully and thoughtfully written Aoife xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GUEST BLOG from Dr Kate Carr-Fanning: Desert Island Books